4 Tips from a Freshman

 As some of you may know, I have just finished my freshman year in high school, and oh boy, what a year! Well, there are some things I could tell you. This post is for anyone who is about to be a freshman or is about to switch schools. All of us are scared and nervous about starting something new, and it helps when someone comes along and tells you how things are going to be and what to expect.

My friends and I thought we were so prepared for high school. We were all finally back in person after a year of E-learning on zoom, and this was gonna be our great comeback! And a comeback we had. But there were some many things we learned along the way that I want to share with you. 

Just a disclaimer that this information MAY NOT apply to you! I am speaking from my personal experience, but there is no guarantee that this exact stuff will happen to you!

    1. No one will hold your hand along the way. I learned this the hard way; although I expected things to become more independent, I really expected for there to be more support, but that's not the way it works. I had to learn a lot of the information that I was supposed to know BY MYSELF. At least once in everyone's life, they get a test on which there are questions they never learned! No matter how much you hope and wish for this not to happen to you, it will, so don't expect anything! Be independent and don't rely on others for information. A large part of the growing up experience is "to figure  it out on our own" and this is something I realized in my early days at High School.

Here's a quote: "Responsibility is accepting that you are the cause and the solution of the matter"- Anonymous

It's relevant because you have to take responsibility for your own learning!

    2. Always OVERPREPARE rather than blow things off as unimportant. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! You've probably heard this SOOOO many times, and that's because it's true! This is definitely a struggle, because something always comes up, and sometimes it's difficult to prioritize what to do first!

Here's a quote: "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"- Benjamin Franklin

It's relevant because you have to prepare in order to succeed!

What I mean by that is, try and finish all assignments on the day they are assigned, if that's possible. Then you can get it off your mind and to-do list. Also, in the summer, I would recommend that you start your summer reading early (if you have any) and also get a head start on studying for AP exams if you are taking any AP classes. By getting a head start and reading through the basic curriculum once before school starts, you will already understand some of the material by the time class starts, and you will have less to worry about in the beginning of the school year.

    3. Know what's right for you. So many people will try to convince you that they know better than you. Sometimes, when you're making a decision, there's too many choices to pick from! Listen to someone who you trust wholeheartedly and make a decision that you know you will stick with.

Quote: 

Image courtesy: Google images

It's relevant because you have to do what you think is best!

4. Get involved. Try to participate in as many activities as you can, whether that be volunteering, clubs, teams, or sports. You will end up making new friends with similar interests as you, and you will become well-known in the school. You will also have things to do, so you will never be bored.

Quote: "When I was a teenager, I began to settle into school because I'd discovered the extracurricular activities that interested me: music and theater" - Morgan Freeman

It's relevant because extracurricular activities can help you enjoy school more! Who knows, you might end up discovering a hidden talent!

Those were my main 4 tips for freshman year! I hope that some of this helps you in your freshman year (or at all in your life)! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teen Talk - How to speak like and understand a teen

How To Write A Song

Why you should learn to play an instrument